Friday, August 3, 2018

#RPGaDay2018 Day Three

Day 3 Question: What gives an RPG "staying power?"

Ugh. For whatever reason I'm irked by this question.  The phrase "staying power" seems better applied to products like deodorant, adhesives, or bike chain lube.  So I looked at 2017's Day Three question and found that more to my liking.


Day 3 2017 Question: How do you find out about new RPGs?

I have several sources for finding out about new RPGs.

I've been on G+ for about five years and I learn about many of the new OSR releases there.

My weekly email newsletter from DrivethruRPG is another avenue for learning about new games.  They like to spotlight a different free product every week, and that can be a great way to learn about games without the financial commitment.  Usually it's a quickstart or demo type product, but I feel like that can give me a general sense as to whether I would invest in the game or not.

Free RPG Day 2013 was pivotal to my gaming life!  I picked up Lamentations of the Flame Princess adventure Better Than Any Man.  I couldn't believe this was a free product!  I owned one book from that publisher already, the city creation book Vornheim by Zak Smith.  Those two books changed the course of my GMing for the better!  I started running a LotFP campaign back in early 2015.  We've been on hiatus with it, but will be returning to it soon.


Since this is my first year doing this RPGaDay writing challenge, I might dive back to prior years' questions again if I don't feel like the current year's question is compelling enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment