Sunday, August 26, 2018

#RPGaDay2018 Day Twenty Six

Day 26 Question:  What is your gaming ambition for the next year?

I have more than one ambition for gaming over the next year.  I'm looking forward to this time next year when I can re-read my own blog post to see how many of these ambitions I've turned into actions.

1.  Start running my LotFP YotG campaign again for my home table.  I've said before that I've been wanting to run the 5e adventure Curse of Strahd with LotFP rules and OSR sensibility, but I want to confirm that my players are on board.  Once I get confirmation I can get into whatever preparation I deem necessary to run that.  If they aren't on board with Curse of Strahd, we'll continue with the game where we left off.  The players were just about to ride into the city of Halwic to investigate the ongoing Mimic Crisis, recent rumors of a plague, and a devastating fire.  Halwic is FUCKED UP, YO.

2.  Run games online.  Specifically run either a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly game on G+ for the Flailsnails community.  Right now I have a pretty open schedule and could conceivably achieve weekly, but I want to give myself enough leeway in case my schedule changes and only allows less frequent gaming.

3.  This RPGaDay2018 writing challenge has been a good way to blow out the cobwebs and get into a near daily writing habit.  So for September I'm going to roll right into the #DIY30 challenge and get some progress on my pile of half-finished RPG writing projects.  So expect to see a post with more thoughts on that go up on the blog on August 30th or 31st.

4.  I want to run LotFP demos at a game store next year on Free RPG Day 2019.  It was fun to do that back in 2016.  I'm not sure what I'll run, yet.  It's a little far off, so I'll make a decision closer to spring.  A Stranger Storm from the Grindhouse Referee Book was a good adventure, but I might try another published adventure or even come up with my own.

5.  I want to play more in local gaming stores.  I'm not sure what form this will take, whether I try running something myself, play in something like D&D Encounters or something else.

6.  Playing in public.  I want to run a game in a bar, restaurant, coffee shop, library, or park.  Or maybe in the dining car of Amtrak!

7.  Play one of the games in my collection that I haven't played, yet.  It doesn't have to be a huge campaign.  This past year I had this as a goal and I actually achieved it!  I hadn't played Call of Cthulhu, yet, and we played a scenario of it this summer.  We've played three sessions so far and will probably wrap up on the fourth session.  Not sure which game I want to play...  I might make this into a blog post down the line!

8.  Sell some of the game books I know I'll never play.  I've been doing a bit of this already.  It started with giving The Dresden Files RPG core books to my boyfriend's co-worker about a year and a half ago.  He happened to be a huge fan of the fiction and had two daughters just the right age to get into roleplaying.  I've sold some stuff on Ebay over the last year.  All the World of Darkness 20th Anniversary Edition books I had accumulated, Don't Rest Your Head, Don't Lose Your Mind, A Penny for Your Thoughts, Vampire the Masquerade 2nd Edition, and some of the Chronicles of Darkness supplements I know I'll never use.  Still trimming that last category (CoD) down.

I've never been someone to make New Year's resolutions, and this question strikes me as akin to that.  But I believe it's good to write goals down for yourself and try to hold yourself accountable, so that's what I'm doing with this post.  Like I said up above, I look forward to looking back on this post in August 2019 and seeing how far I've come with these ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment