Thursday, August 2, 2018

#RPGaDay2018 Day Two

Day 2 (Electric Boogaloo) Question:  What do you look for in an RPG?

The easy out here is to just say I'm looking for something that doesn't suck, lol.  But what does that mean exactly?  Let's drill deeper into the Mind of Bast to explore the things that inspire me to run and play games.

1. Art.  My mother was an artist and my exposure to art started at an early age.  I've always understood the power of it to affect me in deep and mysterious ways.  The RPG author and artist Zak Smith has said that art in RPGs should be doing more of the work than it usually does (not a quote, I'm paraphrasing) and I agree with this notion.  So I'm looking for art that tickles my fancy.

2. Production values.  Did the author(s) artists(s) layout/graphic design artist(s), editor(s) and publisher(s) care enough to hold themselves to a rigorous standard of presentation and usability?  The more so that they did, the more I'll be intrigued by their efforts.

3. Genre.  My tastes lean towards the horror end of the spectrum.  Low fantasy, grim dark, and dungeon punk are what really blow my hair back these days.  I'll take a sprinkling of gonzo here and there as well.

4. OSR compatibility.  I'm running mostly Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Call of Cthulhu these days.  So if I'm looking at other publishers' adventures or setting supplements, it's with an eye towards how easily I can adapt them to the campaigns I'm running.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment