Thursday, February 22, 2018

Vornheim: The Complete City Kit, Review Part One

     Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
     Art & Writing by Zak S.
     Published by Lamentations of the Flame Princess
     64 page Hardcover, also available as PDF


     For the TLDNR crowd I'll condense my first statement to this:
VORNHEIM SPARKS JOY IN THE COLD DEAD COCKLES OF MY ASHY WITHERED HEART.

  
     I purchased Vornheim in January of 2013 and it changed and improved my games, more than any other gaming book I've read.  My only regret ends up being a personal one, in that I didn't learn about it and buy it sooner!

     How did it change your game Bast?
The timing of when I bought the book is important for context; it landed in my paws about five years into my flailing or failing Changeling: the Lost campaign.  It helped me streamline my NPC creation in the end months of running that campaign.  I'll elaborate on that in Part 2 of this review.

     Bast, you say Vornheim improved your games more than any other game book.  That's a strong claim.  Can you say more about how Vornheim can help someone who might be struggling with city portions of their TTRPG campaigns?
I think this question can be better served by re-appearing in Part 2 where I'll be explaining how I use Vornheim either in prep or at the table.  What I will say here in Part 1 is this book helped me to think more about information design.  Also, if you haven't gotten the memo: DIE DROP TABLES FUCKIN' RULE.

     This is a high quality book in physical form.  I've been bringing it to every game I've run since I started my LotFP campaign a few years ago.  It's one of my must haves for both prep and in-game.


     To purchase a physical (plus PDF) copy from Lamentations of the Flame Prince webstore

http://www.lotfp.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

     If your are a digital only cat, you can get the PDF by itself from DriveThru RPG

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/91110/Vornheim-The-Complete-City-Kit?term=vornheim&test_epoch=0

No comments:

Post a Comment